Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Stamping on.... Cakes?!




Well, on the icing, to be precise!

We had a birthday in our house yesterday - our middle child Zoe turned 5. Happy birthday Zoe :)

I was chatting to one of the lovely ladies in my Stampin' Up! team the other day (hi Heather!) about cakes and she said "Did you know you can stamp on cakes?"

WHAT?

No, I didn't know that! So of course I had to give it a go, didn't I? Very much trial and error, but Zoe and I had lots of fun with it.

First, she picked her favourite stamps and then I gave them a good clean!

Now as much as I loooove the Stampin' Up! inks, they don't taste too good and probably wouldn't be too good for you, so I took Heather's advice and tried the food dyes. Most of the ones in my pantry didn't work - some were too runny, and the paste was too thick etc etc. Then I had a lightbulb moment... The kids got some "Colour-A-Cookie" packs a little while ago, which had a large biscuit and a picture they could colour in with the included markers made from edible inks (food dye). They worked a treat. I "inked up" the stamp just as I would with the ink markers.

When I stamped onto the icing it created a 3D effect, from where the stamps made an indentation onto the icing.

I put the icing over cupcakes, and the kids (and adults) loved them.


How cute would they be with little matching cards.... hmmm.

Stamp sets used: Wild About You, Garden Whimsy, Princess

1 comment:

Beverly T. said...

Oh so cool - I am so glad to have found this post because my daughter is started an interest in cupcakes and I mused one day whether or not we could 'stamp' on them - and now I see its possible!

They look great too - you did a super job! I could see you catering a party with invites, and all sorts of matching things!

Cheers
Beverly T.